Sunday, March 17, 2013

Clean Eating Pineapple Chicken


The past few weeks I've been putting a lot of effort into eating as "clean" as possible. I'm not an expert on clean eating and I don't eat clean 100% of the time. But the basic idea is to eat lots of plants (fruits and veggies), whole grains, include lean meats that aren't pre-packaged, and cut out as many chemicals as possible. The fewer the ingredients, the better. And in the past few weeks that I've been doing this, I've noticed that I have SO much more energy in the afternoons/evenings. It had become such a struggle to make the drive home from work every evening, much less make it do the gym. Now I'm full of energy and ready to go and I've noticed that I'm just in a much better mood.

This weeks recipe is Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken that I adapted from The Gracious Pantry. Most of the clean recipes I've tried come from her. They've all been super yummy and super easy and super clean!

(Makes 4-5 servings)
Ingredients:
  • 2 large chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
  • 3 small raw zucchini, halved, quartered, then sliced (about 4 cups)
  • 1/4 medium, fresh pineapple (I love pineapple so I used two cups) 
Directions:
1. Add chicken and salsa to your slow cooker and cook on low for 4-6 hours. When the chicken is done, it should fall apart easily.

2. Add zucchini and pineapple and cook for an additional 30 minutes.


3. Serve and enjoy! 

Nutritional Content:
(Data is for 1/5 of the recipe)
Calories: 133
Total Fat: 2 gm
Cholesterol: 39 mg
Carbohydrates: 25 gm
Sodium: 525 mg
Protein: 16 gm
(the original recipe said to serve with the zucchini and pineapple raw, but as I'm not a fan of raw zucchini, I decided to add it and the pineapple to the chicken and salsa the last 30 minutes)

This recipe ended up making 5 1-cup servings that I dished up individually to take for my lunches this week. I loved the combination of the salsa with the pineapple, giving a little spice along with the sweetness of the pineapple. This is definitely a recipe I'll come back to!  

No comments:

Post a Comment