Saturday, February 20, 2010

And the Oscar goes to...

The Hurt Locker. Have you see it? It was nominated for best picture by the Academy. I just watched it and it's brilliant. I had to remind myself several times that it was a scripted movie. Not a documentary. It's a war movie. Set in Iraq. It's intense. These are the elite of soldiers. They have one of the most dangerous jobs in the world; to disarm bombs in the heat of combat. I can't imagine. I can't imagine being them. I can't imagine knowing them. Knowing what they're doing everyday in combat. It blows my mind that people actually do this. Seriously, I can't get my mind around it. It makes me think about how much our soldiers do for our freedom. For people they've never even met. It makes me thankful. So thankful for them. This movie, it puts it all into perspective. Like I said before, this movie is brilliant.

The Oscars, they're in two weeks. Up against The Hurt Locker are Avatar, Up in the Air, The Blind Side, District 9, An Education, Inglourious Basterds, Precious, Up, and A Serious Man. I've only seen a handful of these.

Seen:
  • Avatar was good, but I found parts of it to be cheesy. It's ok, you can shoot me. I know I'm in the minority here. But was it really necessary for the grass to light up when they ran across it? Cheesy. The graphics, however, were brilliant. James Cameron, he knows what makes a blockbuster, doesn't he? And fun fact, James Cameron and the director of The Hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow, they used to be married. If it comes down to these two movies, they'll be up against each other. Very interesting.
  • Up in the Air, I loved! Absolutely loved it. I had been anticipating this one for a while when it came out. I will say, it was somewhat different than what I was expecting, but in a good way. It was funnier than I expected for sure. And the ending! Didn't see that coming until about 2 minutes before it happened. Anna Kendrick was brilliant. Girl can deliver a line with impeccable timing. She's nominated for best actress in a supporting role. George Clooney was as good as ever. Is it just me or does he only get better looking with age? He's also nominated for actor in a leading role. There was nothing I didn't like about that movie. And Jason Reitman, after Juno and now this, what's not to love about him?
  • Inglourious Basterds was so gruesome. So, so gruesome. It was good though. But good in the sense that, I've seen it, it was good, and now I'll move on. Brad Pitt, he was funny. And why is he always eating something throughout all of his movies? Seriously, watch something he's in...he's constantly eating! Basterds is not one I would want to watch over and over. Just because of the gruesomeness. That's Tarantino for you though. Some have suggested him for Breaking Dawn. I hope they're kidding because, please.
  • I thought I would like Up a lot more than I did. I also thought I would cry at the beginning...according to what everyone had told me. I didn't cry. At all. As far as animated films go, it was a good one, with a story line that I think was well suited for adults and children. The beginning for the adults for sure. The rest, more for the children. Russell, I'd bring him home with me. So cute, that kid.
Haven't Seen:
  • The Blind Side. Not that I didn't want to, I just never got the chance. I guess that's what happens when a movie comes out the same weekend as New Moon. Yes, I saw NM. Multiple times. Call it a guilty pleasure. But I'm not so guilty about it. And I haven't seen an Oscar nominated film. What are you going to do about it? But Sandra Bullock, love her so much. So happy for her and all that she's accomplished this year. She deserves it. And The Proposal, that movie is hilarious!
  • District 9. Didn't see it and can't tell you anything about it.
  • I hadn't heard about An Education until recently. Now I'm really interested in seeing it. Carey Mulligan, she's great. And could she be any cuter? Would love to see it before the Oscars, but since it doesn't come out on DVD until March 30th, I guess that's not an option.
  • I never saw Precious either. I don't think I've ever been able to put myself in the right mindset to watch it. It's a heavy subject matter. You have to be in a certain place to be able to sit down and watch a movie like that, knowing what it's about. I'm sure I'll see it at some point, just don't know when.
  • And lastly, A Serious Man. I didn't see this one either. And like District 9, I know nothing about it.

So, are you ready for the Oscars? Are you going to watch? You know I will be. Especially now that my girl, Kristen Stewart, is set to present ;)

Here's a full list of nominees.




No comments:

Post a Comment