Sunday, February 14, 2010

How did you spend your Valentine's Day?

I spent my Valentine's Day with the girls. We started with lunch at Ruby Tuesday's before heading to the movies to see Valentine's Day. And I'll admit, I was really excited about seeing this movie when I first heard about production. I mean, so many celebrities in one movie, what's not to be excited about? Then as the release date approached, I got a little nervous, a little skeptical if you will. I thought, "what are the producers trying to cover up with the casting of so many huge celebrities?" If a script is good enough, you shouldn't need that many celebrities to pull in an audience. I was afraid it was going to be overkill. That everyone was going to be fighting for screen time. So, nervous I got. I went into the movie without getting my hopes up. There is nothing worse than being excited about a movie and then seeing it and being completely disappointed. Well, I saw it...

And I LOVED it! Really. It was really, really cute. A total chick-flick? Yes. But funny. So many laugh out loud moments. Julia Roberts, oh how I love Julia Roberts. There was a part at the end that totally referenced Pretty Woman, one of my all time favorite movies, that I'm not sure everyone got, but I sure did! Hilarious. I'd read that Taylor Swift's performance wasn't that great. I however didn't have a problem with it. She was a giddy high school student, that's all. Totally didn't see the story line playing out the way it did with Bradley Cooper. Ashton Kutcher, he was the common denominator in the movie. There are so many people to mention, I can't even remember them all! And since there are so many actors sharing screen time, there were long periods of time between each of their appearances on screen, but I didn't really notice it. Yeah, you're wondering what's going on with another couple while the current couple is on screen, but each relationship had it's own dimension that was interesting and because of that, the absence of someone on screen for a period of time didn't really affect me. There are other movies that jump around from story to story like that and I guess that kind of movie has never really bothered me. I actually kind of like it. It's refreshing. It keeps you on your toes. It keeps you thinking and anticipating what's next. In the words of Andy Warhol, "The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting." So yeah, it was exciting to wait and see what was going to come next.

Could the movie have been just as successful with less celebrities? Possibly. Probably actually. But would it have pulled in the audiences? That's debatable. Overall, I really enjoyed it just the way it was. I wouldn't have changed a thing. And since it was set in Los Angeles, you know I was in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment