Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Movie Marathon 2010

I’ve told you how much I love movies, no? Well, I’m telling you again; I love movies. Absolutely love them. I study them for weeks, months, before they come out. I read everything I possibly can about them; about the actors, the actresses, the locations, the sets. I read interviews and reviews. I know about distribution and how it works. I know when they are opening and where they are opening. And I’m sure I annoy the hell out of all my friends with my constant overabundance of information on movie production. It’s just all so fascinating to me, how the whole industry works in general and how a movie comes together. To the point where I’m thinking it would be rather awesome to turn my interior design degree into working on movie sets. Can you imagine? And of course, I am constantly quoting movies.

So with that comes Movie Marathon 2010. For the next six weeks, there is a movie coming out every Friday that I plan on seeing. That I’ve been dying to see. And that I will see the weekend it opens. I don’t care what it takes. Come hell or high water, I’ll be there.

February 26 - Shutter Island - This is a new addition. I'm not usually into scary movies so much, but I'm going to make an exception based on what I've heard about this movie. Does Leonardo DiCaprio ever do anything wrong? I think not. I've heard the movie is more suspensful than anything and that you have to follow every word, every scene, every thing you see with your complete attention. If not, you will be completely lost. Am also hearing that the ending will trip you out. This is why I'm seeing it. There's nothing like a movie that keeps you on your toes and thinking hours after it's over.


March 5 – Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland – Are you familiar with Burton’s work? He’s great. Really, I love his work. Edward Scissorhands, Sweeney Todd, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. His work, it is bizarre, some might even call it dark, but it works. He’s a genius as far as I’m concerned. Recently I was in New York City and it just so happened to be at the same time some of his work was on exhibit at MoMA. I was most excited about seeing his exhibit. And of course the permanent collection of Warhol’s they have. But I got to see some of Burton’s artwork; his work having nothing to do with his movies. So cool. Unfortunately, no pictures were allowed in the exhibit. And Johnny Depp, he can do no wrong in my eyes. Love him. When he’s cast as a character, and most of the time that character is so far out in left field, he embodies that character with everything he has. And because of that, his performances are always sublime. I can’t wait to see him as the Mad Hatter. I will say this, Burton’s version of AiW will not be Disney. It should be obvious in the previews, but some parents are ridiculous so take note, it won’t be for young children.


March 12 – Remember Me – One name: Robert Pattinson. You’re familiar, yes? If not, you must be living under a rock 20,000 leagues under the sea. He’s all the talk of the town these days so you can’t miss him. Not only is he acting in this movie, but he’s an executive producer. Were you aware of that? Now you are. I’m really looking forward to seeing him in a non-immortal role. After seeing some of his smaller indie movies, I think that with the right material, he has what it takes to be a really great actor. This is his chance to show his acting chops in a form other that Edward Cullen. I’ve heard the story has a post September 11th storyline to it, although you wouldn’t know coming from the 5,000 trailers Summit has released thus far. Am also hearing there is a huge twist at the end between Rob and Pierce Bronson who plays his dad.


March 19 – The Runaways – I can’t even begin to describe my excitement for this movie. If you know me, you know my love for Kristen Stewart. If you don’t know me, well, that’s a whole other post in itself. I won’t get into now, but just know, I love that girl. Kristen Stewart, she plays Joan Jett in The Runaways. Have you seen her transformation for the part? It’s mind-blowing. Cutting her hair caused an uproar from her Twilight fans, "but what about Bella?" they said. Um...newsflash, she isn't Bella in real life people! This is her job. This is her passion. She was embracing the character. Doing everything possible to get into that character. And she pulled it off. Her and Joan, they could be twins. The Runaways, they were an all girl rock band in the 70s. They opened up so many doors for female rockers. They were the pioneers if you will. Also in the movie is Dakota Fanning playing Cherie Currie. You know Dakota, yes? At only 16, she has proven herself as a Hollywood heavyweight. There is so much to come from her and I think this movie is going to catapult her into the realm of more mature movies. Not that what she was doing before wasn’t mature, did you see I Am Sam? There is a story that goes along with this; a story about how I tried and came so close to meeting Kristen in L.A. last summer. I’m saving it for when I review the movie. Oh the suspense! Another warning, Kristen Stewart will be no Bella Swan in this movie. It’s rated R and will not be appropriate for the younger Twilight fans.


April 2 – The Yellow HandkerchiefYes, another Kristen Stewart movie. GASP…however will I contain myself? The answer, I won’t. I will explode with excitement. You just wait. Whoever sits next to me in the theatre will be bruised, you can count on that. The movie follows three strangers, brought together by their respective feelings of loneliness, on a road trip through post-Katrina Louisiana. Along with such great actors as William Hurt and Maria Bello, this movie has every potential to be great. And British newcomer Eddie Redmayne appears to be pretty promising himself. You should also know that this movie was filmed three years ago and has taken this long to get distribution. That's indie movies for you. Such a shame. They're always so great.


So that's it, Movie Marathon 2010 begins tonight. I'm so excited! Oh, and did I mention that New Moon comes out on DVD on March 20th? Yeah, The Runaways and New Moon in one weekend. It will be epic. There will be pictures. Wait for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment