Friday, December 19, 2014

10 Days of Holiday Baking - Day 5

Is anyone in a sugar coma yet? Just a food coma? Today is my regularly scheduled off Friday at work. And because I'm taking three days off next week, followed by the Christmas holiday days, I'm officially off for the next 10 days! And I'm glad I'll be missing the final 4 days of people bringing treats into work because it's so hard to not grab something whenever you walk by those tables! Maybe I'll miss some pretty good stuff, maybe my pants will appreciate it. Plus, I have plenty of baking left to do myself!

Today has felt very festive in general. I got my haircut this morning just in time for Christmas, followed by a Christmas manicure with the best, wrapped a few last presents (am I really done?!), did some baking with the recipe I'm here to share, and tonight, the family is off to Callaway Gardens Fantasy In Lights. It's been years since I've been and this is the first time for both Reese and Brooks so I'm super excited.

Anyway, today's recipe is another new addition. Who said I could only have one new addition per year? I always forget how good White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies are until I eat one. And I'm always hesitant to eat them for no reason at all. I think I have an aversion to white chocolate, but it's actually so good! When my sister, cousin and I were kids, we used to sneak into Grandma's kitchen cabinet and eat the white chocolate baking bars she kept. Maybe that's where it came from, because those weren't very good, but we still ate them! So whenever I eat a White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie, a light bulb goes off and I'm quickly reminded that I'm always taking them for granted. To make up for it, I've added them to my list this year! And trust me, these cookies do not disappoint! They might actually be my favorite of all the treats I've baked this year. I will, however, say that I had trouble finding the macadamia nuts. I had to run into Wal-Mart to pick up a site-to-store order this morning and decided to check their baking aisle. I lucked out and snagged the last bag.

White Chocolate Chunk Macadamia Nut Cookies
(recipe from Annie, again)

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. coarse salt
1¼ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
1 cup (16 tbsp.) unsalted butter, cold and cut into large chunks
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. coconut extract (optional, but I definitely recommend!)
12 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped (I just used white chocolate chips)
1½ cups coarsely chopped macadamia nuts


Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk to blend.

2.  In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the cold butter and the sugars. Beat on medium-high until smooth and just combined, 1-2 minutes. Blend in the eggs one at a time just until incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed. Blend in the vanilla and coconut extracts. With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients just until incorporated. 

3. Fold in the white chocolate and macadamia nuts with a spatula. Cover and refrigerate dough for 30-60 minutes.

4.  Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.  Roll a scant half-cup (I used 1/4 cup just to spread the recipe a little further) of dough into a ball. Holding dough ball in fingertips of both hands, pull apart into two equal halves.  Rotate halves 90 degrees and, with jagged surfaces facing up, place formed dough onto cookie sheet, leaving ample room between each ball. 
  • 5.  Bake the cookies, rotating halfway through, until light golden brown and just set, about 14-16 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. 

    I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Only 6 days until Christmas! Are you ready?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment