Saturday, December 20, 2014

10 Days of Holiday Baking - Day 6

As mentioned previously, my family and I made it to Callaway Gardens last night for the Christmas lights. We were worried that the rain was going to keep us from going, but it held off until the drive back home. We loaded up on kettle popcorn and hot chocolate and hopped on the trolley. I remember being much more amazed by the lights when I was a little kid. And while it wasn't nearly as magical for me now, watching my niece and nephew get so excited about every single light was just as, if not more, magical. I wouldn't trade making those memories with them for anything. 


Today I'm going back to a classic, to one of the cookies I must have on my holiday baking list yearly. It's just simply not Christmas until these cookies are made. Peanut Butter Blossoms remind me of being a kid. I remember helping my mom unwrap all the kisses and then waiting for the cookies to come out of the oven so  we could quickly press them into the warm, gooey cookies. Is there anything better than biting into that soft Hershey's Kiss and then it mixing with the salty peanut butter cookie? Is there anything better than the peanut butter/chocolate combination period? I'd be willing to say there isn't, but that's just my own personal opinion. 

Want me to let you in on a secret? I don't do anything special for these cookies. In fact, I take the recipe straight off the back of the Hershey's Kiss bag. That doesn't mean these cookies aren't fantastic, because they are! The recipe is pretty easy and basic and my other Peanut Butter Cookies are just too good by themselves to throw a kiss on top of, honestly. 

Peanut Butter Blossoms
(recipe from Hershey's)

Ingredients:


  • 48 Hershey's Kisses 
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 3/4 cup Creamy Peanut Butter
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Additional granulated sugar(optional)
*Tip: I never actually get 48 cookies out of this recipe. And I always unwrap 48 Kisses before I start baking. I'm giving you a heads up so that maybe I'll remember next year. I'd start with 30 Kisses, then open more as the last batch or two is baking. 

Directions:

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Remove wrappers from chocolates.
2. Beat shortening and peanut butter in large bowl until well blended. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat until fluffy. Add egg, milk and vanilla; beat well. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into peanut butter mixture.
3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar; place on non-greased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a chocolate into center of each cookie; cookie will crack around edges. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

And now, I'm officially ready for Christmas. Do you have a cookie or a treat that screams Christmas to you?  

My little "helpers" 

No comments:

Post a Comment