Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Summer Road Trip 2009 - Part I - Las Vegas


Last summer, me and the besties set out on quite the adventure. A ten day adventure to be exact. Why am I writing about it now? Well, at the time I had planned on starting a blog and blogging what happened each day of the trip. That didn't happen. Then I planned on just writing everything down so that in fifty years, I could look back and remember everything that happened and all the fun we had. And yeah, that hasn't happened yet either. We're quickly approaching the one year mark since that trip and what better time than the present? Here's how it went down:

Cassie and Me waiting to leave Hartsfield. Couldn't be more excited!

We flew from Atlanta to Las Vegas on July 21, 2009. When we landed in Vegas, the pilot came over the intercom and said, “Welcome to Las Vegas. The current time is 10:00pm and the temperature is 100 degrees.” Umm…isn’t the desert supposed to get cold at night? Guess not.

!!!!!!!!!

So we make our way to baggage claim and as we’re standing there, Alison and I look over at this guy standing maybe 20 feet from us and I say, “Is that Trace Cyrus?” To which she responds, “OMG…I think it is!” Then we go back and forth between yes and no while Cassie studies the tattoos that cover his body in hopes of remembering them. You know, so we can look him up on the internet later and compare and contrast. Naturally. So we text Kyle and ask him where Metro Station is supposed to be that night. And he says, “Uh…Virginia.” Ok…so it’s not Trace. But wait, I know it’s him. I just know it! I don’t really listen to Metro Station. I like “Shake It,” but that’s really the only song of theirs I know. And it's a great song to workout to! So then they start getting their baggage off the belt and it’s all these shipping boxes. Uh…who travels with shipping boxes? Maybe musician? So at this point I’m convinced it’s him. And I’m all…we should go ask for a picture, but I’m too scared! Seriously, we’ve been on the first leg of our trip for exactly 20 minutes and we’ve seen our first celebrity. But alas, he walks away before I work up the courage to ask for a picture (what am I going to do if I run into Kristen Stewart in LA?!?!), but I did manage to snap this little beauty as he was walking away.

It's totally him, right?

Oh, and by the way, once we were in the cab heading to our hotel, Kyle texted us back and said, "Nope, they're in Vegas." Celebrity sighting number one - check.

We were in Vegas for three days where we managed to endure the scorching heat. If only by going out early in the morning, coming back to the room mid-afternoon to shower (again) and nap, before heading back out for the night. That’s the only way we could survive. It was so HOT. Unless you’ve been to Vegas in July or stuck your head in an oven for a long period of time, you don’t know what I’m talking about. But trust me, it was ridiculous.

Alison and Me waiting on the Deuce. In the only shade on the block which was a sliver provided by a single palm tree. To that palm tree, I say, thank you. Then we realized we weren't at a bus stop. To the guy that stopped and told us that, I say, thank you two times.

Have you ever been to a wax museum? If you haven't, go. Seriously. It is so much fun!! We went to Madame Tussauds the second day (I think) in Vegas. I mean, how many of you can say you've:

Performed onstage with The Rat Pack?

Golfed with Tiger? (I tried to tell him he was making a mistake.)

Or kissed Ben Affleck while he played a game of poker?

Yeah, that's what I thought. For real though...if you ever get a chance, go! You won't regret it! Especially if you're in Vegas in July...the air-conditioned building is great :)

Our last night there we got put on the guest list to get into a party at the Palms. The guy took down our names and our number and told us he’d text us the information later. Then he said, “My name is Scott Peterson.” Umm…? I’m pretty were we each took a step backwards and I’d do anything to have a picture of our faces at that moment. Then he laughed and said, “No I didn’t kill my wife! We actually just had a baby!!” Then he proceeded to take pictures of his baby out of his wallet. He texted us information later. We didn’t go.

We did however go to our favorite restaurant in our hotel for dinner one last time. Cause who doesn't love a 50's style diner with LIVE music and dancing?!

Clearly, I do!!

And then we hit up the Bellagio fountains. They. Are. Amazing. I could've stood there for HOURS! Pictures and videos don't do the fountains justice. One day, when I'm rich, I'm going back to Vegas and I'm staying in the Bellagio and I'm going to sit in my hotel window and watch the fountains every single night. They're that amazing.

Mind-blowing.

After the fountains we hit up the old strip for a second. And I say for a second because at night that place is sketch!! That was the only time I was nervous the whole trip. Especially when on the bus ride back to the hotel, some rando wouldn't stop talking to us about being Georgia Peaches and how he couldn't find a date in Vegas because all the girls are hookers. We jumped off the Deuce and ran the minute it stopped. And never looked back. And with that, the Vegas portion of our trip was over. I'm sure I've left stuff out. Probably a lot of stuff. Such a great time. With such great friends.

Coming up next: Arizona, Hoover Dam, and the Grand Canyon!

No comments:

Post a Comment